09 May 2012

Strawberry Fields Sponge Cake

If you present this for your wife on Mother's Day she will love you forever and ever!  I know it looks really fancy but it's easier then it looks and tastes even better then you can imagine!  Isn't this soo pretty???  This was my wedding cake.  I made several types of shortcake the weeks before my wedding day, about the week of the big day I found this sponge cake that was heavenly!   I was a little worried when I first made this because there is no liquid in the recipe.  The density and moistness of this cake is perfect, turns out wonderful, and the cake presents so pretty.  The night before I got married this is what I made with my mom.  The day of I sliced, filled, and decorated my cake before the ceremony.




Strawberry Fields Sponge Cake
by Tickled in Love

6 large eggs, separated
1 ¼ c granulated sugar
2 large egg yolks
1 large egg
1 ½ t vanilla extract
1 ¾ c cake flour
¼ t salt
Simple syrup, recipe follows

Sour Cream Whipped Topping
1 1/2 cup sour cream
1 c thawed cool whip whipped topping (I make my whip cream)
1 T powdered sugar
1 t vanilla

2 cups strawberries, sliced
Roses for garnish, if desired



Grease two 9” pans; line with parchment and dust with flour.

Whip 6 egg whites to soft peaks.  With mixer running, add ¾ c of the sugar gradually.  Transfer to a large wide bowl.

In the mixer bowl, beat the eight egg yolks and whole egg to the ribbon stage.  With the mixer running add remaining ½ c sugar gradually.  Beat in vanilla.  Scrape the yolk mixture into the bowl with the beaten whites.  Begin to fold them together.  Sift the flour and salt over the mixture and finish folding the batter together.  Spread evenly into the prepared pan.  Bake at 400 degrees F. for 7 to 10 minutes.  (if baked in round pans, fill pans no more then half full.) 

To keep moist, brush with flavored simple syrup.

Simple Syrup

Equal parts water and sugar.  Place in saucepan until melted and cool.

Sour Cream Whipped Topping

Mix sour cream, whipped topping, sugar, and vanilla.  


Assemble Cake:  Cut sponge cake horizontally in half. Place bottom half on plate; lay sliced strawberries over surface of sponge cake, then spread with half of the sour cream mixture.  Cover with top of sponge cake, remaining sour cream mixture and strawberries.  Decorate with roses and petals.  Store in refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment