17 April 2012

Mini Eggstravaganza

One of my favorite meals to cook is breakfast.  I love making breakfast for brunch or dinner because it is always so pretty.  I'm not an early morning gal so if we are having breakfast at the usual time, then it's something I can just mix up real quick and stick in the oven.    This frittata is healthy, full of protein and veggies, and a great way to start your day! This is a perfect breakfast in bed for two solution.  Also great for your busy mornings when your need breakfast on the run.  Serve this at a baby shower or family brunch buffet and it will be a hit! Scooping mixture into mini pie tins makes a cute presentation and is the perfect size for one portion.

Mini Veggie Frittatas
Mini Eggstravaganza
by Tickled in Love

12 eggs, mixed together
1 cup salsa, homemade is best
1/2 cup whole milk
3 teaspoons salt
3 teaspoons pepper
1 orange bell pepper, diced (other colors of peppers such as yellow or red taste great but I like adding the orange for color)
3 roma tomatoes, chopped
2 cups baby spinach
1 cup plus 1/4 cup colby jack, sharp cheddar, or pepper jack cheese shredded

Garnish with, avocado, sour cream, salsa, or as my hubby likes to do ketchup

Heat oven to 400 degrees.  Mix eggs, salsa, milk, salt, and pepper in a big mixing bowl, set aside.  Prepare veggies and cheese.  Dice the peppers, chop the tomatoes, and shred the cheese. Add the peppers, tomatoes, 1 cup cheese, spinach, and cheese into the egg mixture.  Mix all ingredients together until all items are coated with egg mixture.

Place 12 mini tins on a cookie sheet.  Spray tins with extra virgin olive oil.  Use a 1/4 measuring cup to scoop egg mixture into mini pie tins.  Fill to about 3/4 full.  Sprinkle each mini frittata with cheese.  Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until edges are browned and egg mixture doesn't jiggle.  Test with a knife if needed.

This recipe makes 12 single servings.

Notes:

Dairy free...I always make my personal frittatas without the milk and cheese.  My family loves the dairy so I add it in for their frittatas.  I think it tastes amazing without those add in's, and it's healthier without the dairy anyway!

No Salsa???  Omit it from the recipe and use minced jalapeno or serrano chili (I like the serranos cause they are hot!).

No comments:

Post a Comment